I have been tagged by Rambler to write on my movie quirks. What are the things I like and don’t like when it comes to watching movies?
First of all, I am not a big movie buff. I used to watch a couple of movies a year till last year. I was more into books. Then suddenly I developed an interest in movies and began watching them more frequently. You can say I am on my way to becoming a movie buff. 🙂
Here go my quirks:
1) I used to love silly romantic movies which were all mush and nothing else when I was studying. For this reason, I liked KKHH and Pyar Kiya toh Darna Kya and the like. Over the years, my choice has changed a bit. Now, when I saw Pyar kiya toh darna kya and DDLJ again, I didn’t enjoy them as much.
Now I like a bit more sensible and mature movies. I still love mushy and romantic movies, but they got to have a bit of sense and a realistic touch to them. Like Hum aapke hain kaun, Mouna Ragam (Tamil), Vivah, Mozhi (Tamil), Autograph (Tamil), Jab Pyar Kisise Hota Hai. I like watching comedy too, but hate cheap comedy.
I hate watching action and psycho movies.
2) When I go to a theatre for watching a movie, I like to sit in the middle of the theatre, not too near and not too far from the screen.
3) I like going to the afternoon show of a movie, the 12 or the 3′ O clock show. I somehow don’t like night shows. Have never tried the morning show.
4) When I go to a theatre, I like going on time. I hate it if I miss part of the movie. I hate it too when other people come late and stomp on my feet while they grope their way to their seat.
5) I don’t like walking out in the middle of a movie, even if it is crappy. Once I have begun watching a movie, I like seeing it to the end.
6) I like company while watching movies. Quiet company. 🙂 It could be anyone who shares the same taste in movies as me.
I have never tried going to a theatre to watch a movie alone. Would love to check out how that feels. 🙂
7) I hate people passing comments, talking among themselves and talking on the cell phone when the movie is on. ‘The heroine will now slap the hero, then she will fall in love with him….’ – makes me want to say, “Kindly let me see for myself.”
8 ) There are very few ordinary theatres left in Ahmedabad after multiplexes have come up. Multiplex tickets are a bit too exorbitantly priced for me. 🙂 So in the last year, I have ended up seeing quite a few movies on CDs and DVDs, more out of compulsion than out of choice.
9) I like to watch a movie in a language I understand. If I don’t understand the language, it fails to hold my interest. Language, to me, is a very important part of the movie. True, there are subtitles, but somehow it is not the same as listening to and understanding the language first hand.
About language, somehow, I have always been stuck to only Hindi movies. Never got around to watching Tamil or English movies. It is very recently that I started watching Tamil movies and, similarly, hope to develop an interest in English movies too.
10) I love watching offbeat movies. My friends sometimes remark that I am an art movies lover. Maybe yes. I like watching movies that are different, made for a select audience, without the commercial aspect in mind. Like TZP, Jodhaa Akbar. I have watched quite a few box office flops and liked them. I like viewing a movie for itself, and my liking is not determined by the kind of reception it gets at the box office. I prefer judging for myself. That does not mean I don’t like box office hits.
11) I like munching on chips or popcorn when the movie is going on. A movie in a theatre is almost synonymous with dinner outside. After watching a movie, I hate going back home and having to cook.
12) I like to have the general idea of the story line of a movie before I go and watch it. Not the entire story in detail, but I like to know what I am going to be watching. The source could be anyone – a trusted friend or a newspaper or a T.V./radio show.
13) I am not the first-day-first-show kind of person. If I want to watch a movie in a theatre, I like doing it in the second week or so after the release, after the crowd has ebbed a bit.
14) I like movies in which the lady character is strong. I like movies where the hero and/or heroine are morally strong and come up from scratch. Somehow, such stories get to me.
15) I like movies which have great music. Like Hum dil de chuke sanam and Dil toh pagal hai.
I hereby tag:
~ Anyone else who is interested in taking up the tag.