Thanks to Anupama, I came to know of this: A Second Serving of Chicken Soup for the Indian Soul is being compiled, and contributions are invited for the same.
The details are:
- The book would be published by Westland publishing house.
- The write-ups will carry the contributors’ name. Westland pays Rs 1000 per story and two copies of the book. They carry a 3-4 line profile on all contributing authors. Previously blogged and published work is accepted too. The copyright of the stories stays with the author.
- Please send your stories to: email@example.com before 31st December 2009
About Chicken Soup for the Soul
A Chicken Soup for the Soul story is an inspirational, true story about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. The most powerful stories are about people extending themselves, or performing an act of love, service or courage for another person.
Guidelines for a Chicken Soup for the Soul Story
1. Tell an exciting, sad or funny story about something that has happened to you or someone you know. Make sure that you introduce the character(s).
2. Tell your story in a way that will make the reader cry, laugh or get goose bumps (the good kind!) Don’t leave anything out — how did you feel?
3. The story should start with action; it should include a problem, issue or situation. It should include dialogue and the character should express their feelings though the conflict or situation. It should end in a result, such as a lesson learned, a positive change or pay-off.
What a Chicken Soup for the Soul story IS NOT:
1. A sermon, an essay or eulogy.
2. A term paper, thesis, letter or journal entry.
3. About politics or controversial issues.
4. A biography or testimonial.
Stories should be non-fiction, ranging in length between 300-1200 words.
Feel free to submit more than one story or poem.
Every book is divided into topic chapters, with the following as a guideline for typical chapters:
1) On Love:
This chapter contains stories that describe acts of love and kindness; the healing power of love; acts of tenderness and compassion; acts of generosity; and events that transcend racism, sexism, ageism and nationalism.
2) On Parenting:
This chapter contains stories that demonstrate love and caring in the act of parenting and grand parenting.
3) On Teaching and Learning:
This chapter contains stories that demonstrate caring, compassion and creativity in the art of teaching—both in the classroom and outside the classroom.
4) Overcoming Obstacles:
This chapter contains stories that demonstrate how we have triumphed over our own personal obstacles or supported one over theirs, and how individually each should be celebrated.
5) A Matter of Perspective:
This chapter contains stories that demonstrate how our experience of all events is effected by our point of view, that there is more than one way to see and interpret the same event, and that as we change our point of view, we actually change our experience. These stories may be humorous.
6) A Matter of Attitude:
This chapter, like the previous one, will contain stories that demonstrate how our attitudes and beliefs control our perception of reality and our behavior.
7) On Death and Dying:
This chapter will contain stories about the power of the human spirit to confront the loss of loved ones through spiritual understanding, healing acts of love and kindness, and through humor.
8 ) On Aging:
This chapter will contain stories about people over 60 years old who are making remarkable contributions to society, who are challenging the stereotypes of aging, and who are living without limitations.
9) On Living Your Dream:
This chapter will contain stories that demonstrate the power of believing in your dream, the power of goal setting, the wisdom of trusting and following your heart, the power of giving encouragement and the importance of asking for and being open to receiving assistance from both other people and God.
10) Eclectic Wisdom:
This chapter contains stories that don’t fit into any other chapters. The stories are what about any aspect of life that is emotionally moving, touching, inspiring and insightful.