Booking Through Thursday has a reading meme up this week, and it was irrestible. So, here we go with the longgggg list of questions. 🙂
1. Favorite childhood book?
The Faraway Tree series – I still remember the way these books used to make me dream. 🙂
2. What are you reading right now?
True Believer by Nicholas Sparks. Picked up Sparks after a really long time, and so far, so good.
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
4. Bad book habit?
Leaving a lot of books mid-way, when I get too tired of them
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
I don’t have a library membership.
6. Do you have an e-reader?
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
Usually several books
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Yes, I started reading outside my usual sphere
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Slow Waltz In Cedar Bend and Border Music. I didn’t exactly hate these books, but was disappointed with them.
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Totto Chan: The Little Girl At The Window, 84 Charing Cross Road
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
I often try to, but am rarely successful.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Mush, short stories
13. Can you read on the bus?
No. Never been able to
14. Favorite place to read?
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I want the books I lend to be returned, in the same condition, and to be passionately read.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
18. Not even with text books?
Oh, text books were scribbled over with notes!
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
20. What makes you love a book?
A good story, warmly told, flowing prose, and my ability to relate to it.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
The fact that I love it
22. Favorite genre?
Mush, short stories
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Fantasy, Poetry, Travelogues, Memoirs
24. Favorite biography?
I haven’t read any biographies as such, but 84 Charing Cross Road and To Sir With Love were close to that. I loved both.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Yes, was obsessed with them at one point of time. Now have grown out of them.
26. Favorite cookbook? None as such. Prefer referring to mom or other relatives and friends, or the Internet for recipes.
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
Totto Chan: The Little Girl At The Window
28. Favorite reading snack?
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Lots. Harry Potter, for instance.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Everyone has different ways of seeing a book, and they are entitled to it. I sometimes agree with a critic review, sometimes I don’t.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I feel a little bad, but I do it, citing why I did not like the book.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
I’d love to be able to read in my mother tongue, Tamil, which happens to be very foreign to me.
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
The Witch Of Portobello. It kind of scared me.
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
There are lots. Shantaram, Chokher Bali, Veronika Decides To Die, to cite a few.
35. Favorite Poet?
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
When I had a library membership, I used to check out four books at a time – two on my card and two on my dad’s. Two books were the maximum the library allowed to be checked out at a time.
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Quite a few times
38. Favorite fictional character?
39. Favorite fictional villain?
Come to think of it, I haven’t read any books with REAL villains. :O
40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Light, entertaining, happy reads
41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Like I said before, there are loads. I’m trying to get over my habit of leaving lots of books mid-way.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
A Walk To Remember
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
I haven’t watched any other film adaptation of books except A Walk To Remember.
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Quite a few times
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
My inability to get through it even after trying several times
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Yes, I do. According to subject, classified according to author later.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
No, usually I don’t like giving away my books, but I might have to start doing that soon.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
The Fountainhead. I’ve been avoiding reading it for ever so long.
52. Name a book that made you angry.
To Sir With Love
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
To Sir With Love, 84 Charing Cross Road. I didn’t think I’d love non-fiction THIS much.
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Slow Waltz in Cedar County
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Nicholas Sparks 🙂
It was fun doing this!! Do take it up if you like it!! 🙂